- JAMA Forum: Why Health Insurance Literacy Matters November 26, 2014Larry Levitt's November 2014 post looks at the challenges with people not understanding basic health insurance concepts as millions of them evaluate and choose health plans during open enrollment season for insurance in 2015.
- Estimating Federal Payments and Eligibility for Basic Health Programs: An Illustrative Example November 25, 2014In some states, policymakers and stakeholders are considering adoption of the Basic Health Program (BHP) option permitted under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). Federal regulations allow BHP implementation beginning in 2015. Through BHP, consumers with incomes at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL) who would otherwise […]
- The ACA’s Basic Health Program Option: Federal Requirements and State Trade-Offs November 25, 2014The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) gives states the option to implement a Basic Health Program (BHP) that covers low-income residents through state-contracting plans outside the health insurance marketplace, rather than qualified health plans (QHPs). In March 2014, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued final regulati […]
- Mapping Marketplace Enrollment November 24, 2014This interactive zip code tool and map displays enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplaces as a share of the potential market in small geographic areas across the country. […]
- The ACA and Recent Section 1115 Medicaid Demonstration Waivers November 24, 2014This brief focuses on Section 1115 Medicaid demonstration waivers related to implementation of the ACA Medicaid expansion (eligible for ACA enhanced matching funds) or other coverage (not eligible for ACA enhanced matching funds). To date, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has approved waivers to implement the Medicaid expansion in three s […]
- JAMA Forum: Why Health Insurance Literacy Matters November 26, 2014